ESPRI: Set of Services for Research at the IPSL
The ESPRI Data and Services Centre is a transversal service of the federation of laboratories Institut Pierre Simon Laplace (IPSL) and one of the 4 data centres of the national data and services infrastructure for the atmosphere AERIS set up in 2014. ESPRI was created to support scientific studies in the fields of atmospheric and climate sciences and to encourage the use of all data related to the following themes: atmospheric chemistry, aerosols, clouds, radiation and the water cycle.
Thus, ESPRI is used by a hundred or so projects of national, European and international scope since it is responsible for hosting and disseminating a large archive of satellite measurement data, but also measurements from balloon, aircraft or other sensor campaigns, in order to enhance them through modelling and assimilation activities for the benefit of the national and even international scientific community. It is also a means of discussion and information on related scientific themes, allowing the understanding and better use of existing data.
Main activities inside AERIS
The main activities carried out by CDS ESPRI are :
- Acquisition, management, production and supply of satellite data: IASI, GOME2 from the MetOp-A and Metop-B missions, TANSO-FTS and CAI from the GOSAT mission, GOMOS ;
- Management of measurement campaign databases (Mistrals, Megapoli, etc.), observation network data (NDACC-France), chemical reaction database (IUPAC) and spectroscopy (GEISA);
- The daily production of data and maps of potential vorticity from the MIMOSA model and atmospheric fields from the Reprobus model ;
- The development of value-added services: Ixion, tapas, arletty, etc.; – The development of a new service: Ixion.
Key numbers (march 2018)
- ~ 10 data production lines
- ~15 projects
- ~2000 registered users
- 1.2 Po of data
- 7 agents involved in AERIS
ESPRI has a double location as it is located on the University Paris VI Campus in Paris as well as on the Campus of the Ecole Polytechnique in Palaiseau.
Point of contact
CDS ESPRI/IPSL, UPMC, Bte 101, 4, place Jussieu, 75252 Paris Cedex