ICARE Data and Services Center provides services to the science community to facilitate access to and utilization of satellites and ground-based observations of atmospheric aerosols and clouds properties, water cycle, and radiation. Its mission is to support research studies in atmospheric and climate sciences. ICARE partners with French and worldwide experts in these research fields and with the international space agencies (CNES, NASA, ESA, EUMETSAT, ISRO, etc.).
ICARE is one of the 4 data centers of AERIS, the French Atmospheric Data Infrastructure created in 2014. ICARE contributes to numerous national and international collaborative projects (MACC, IAOOS, ORAURE, ROSEA, CaPPA, GEWEX, CHARMEX, ACTRIS, CCI, AEROCLUB, GAIA-CLIM, …).
ICARE is supported by the CNES and the Hauts-de-France Regional Council as part of a partnership with the University of Lille and the CNRS.
- Collect, process, archive, and distribute data
- Develop data visualization and analysis tools
- Develop operational processing codes
- Provide support to atmospheric science users with dedicated human and hardware resources
- Exploit the rich satellites data records
- Combine the various observations to derive geophysical parameters
- Provide easy online access to products
Figures (November 2017)
ICARE hosts a very large computing system, located at the at the IT department of the University of Lille:
- 970 referenced data sets available online (3700 TB archive)
- 270 data sets collected daily
- 700 derived products and associated quicklooks generated operationally
- 90 processing codes
- Incoming daily rate of 300 GB, total daily increase of the archive: 1.4 TB/day (ingest and production)
- 100 millions files
- 126 servers, 1910 cores (for production, services, and cluster)
- 92,000 cores-days of computation per year
- About 13,000 unique visitors per month
- 2715 registered users for data access
- 173 registered users for computer resources access
Source of funding
- Hauts-de-France Regional Council
- National projects (AllEnvi, MEDD, ADEME, INSU…)
- European projects (EU, ESA, EUMETSAT)
ICARE is on CNRS Campus of the “Haute Borne” park, adjacent to University of Lille in Villeneuve d’Ascq.
ICARE Centre de Données et Services – UMS 2877 – Université de Lille 59650 Villeneuve d’Ascq Cedex (France)